Friday, March 12, 2010

Make a Pattern from a Readymade Shirt: The Reveal!

My baby boy (not really a baby, but MY baby) received his package which contained this shirt, so now I can show it to you! According to him, this is the best fleece ever created and he's going to throw out all his other fleeces (believe me, he has lots and lots of them). We know he won't do that but it's nice to know he is happy with this one.


Remember this post in which I went through the process of tracing a readymade shirt and making a pattern? It was fun and educational and I would highly recommend you try it on a favorite garment.




Jamie had ordered some fancy schmancy fleece online. Polartec, I think it's called. That made me all the more nervous. I didn't want to mess up. The price was good, though. I think it was about $7.99/yard and it was very high quality fleece.

Because of what you see below, I would highly recommend making a practice zipper. I searched and searched online and could not find instructions on inserting a half-zip in the front of a garment. I'm sure I've done this before in a sewing project years ago and it seemed to come back to me. But I didn't want to just cut a slit in the front and slap a zipper in. 

So, fortunately, ugly zipper ended up being inserted in a scrap. Whew! I won't lie to you. This process is not for the fainthearted and you need a basic knowledge of garment construction. 


Ugly zipper above.

Pretty zipper below.



Raggedy Ann looks fetching in the fleece. She's always excited to model.



Use your sewing machine's stretch overcast stitches to finish the inside seams and hems to make a more professional looking garment. I used stitches I had never tried before. Again, practice the stitches on fabric scraps first. Do some topstitching on the outside to get away from that homemade look. Look at a readymade garment to see where to topstitch.

Use a stretch knit needle in your machine.  I used Schmetz Jersey Ballpoint.

If you'd like more details, email me. I didn't take any construction photos, but I could explain parts of the process if you would like to make your own shirt. 

Be sure to visit  Sew & Tell Fridays. Lots of fun finishes this week!




21 comments:

Paulette said...

That looks amazing! Your son is a lucky young man to have such a talented mom.

concretenprimroses said...

That's great! Years ago I had a book about making your clothes using existing faves, but I never dared to do it. May have to try seeing your success! (And the fact that I can't find pants to fit).
Kathy

Jameson and Diedra said...

It is amazing...I am going to take this fleece camping this weekend and will be thinking of my wonderfully talented mom as I am toasty warm the whole time. Thanks mommy!!!

P.S. This fleece costs $110 w/o the hood and w/ The North Face logo added. In my humble opinion, the mommy made fleece is better.

Elizabeth said...

You did a really great job on that. Glad your son likes it SO much! His comment about throwing out all his other fleece was cute. Thanks for sharing!

ktquilts said...

Great finish! I am inspired and very impressed!!
Blessings,
KT

Nima said...

wow...amazing...beautiful finishing

Troy said...

I didn't see the spot where I place an order...

Seriously though, that is an incredible shirt. Every shirt I ever had that my mom made for me, I wore until you could read a newspaper through them, and even then I hated to see them go. I'm sure this one will be one that gets a lot of wear for a long time.

Rene' said...

Wow! That is awesome! How cool to make your own fleece! Thanks for sharing your technique!

Kristen said...

Nice!! I am always in awe when someone creates their own clothes. I am sure he'll love wearing it.

Anonymous said...

I am thoroughly impressed, Sue!!!! Thanks for sharing.

To answer your question - I normally already have a few designs for a particular fabric collection. Once the design is accepted by the editor, then I contact the fabric manufacturer rep for them to send me the fabrics I need.

jlk said...

Looks great, not homemade at all! Congrats!

Lesly said...

What a great shirt! Your son is a lucky man, and by his comment, it's clear that he knows it! Great Friday Finish, Sue!

Karen said...

Great finish. I would break into a cold sweat just thinking about doing what you have done. Nothing like a son appreaciating what their Mum does.

pinksuedeshoe said...

Oh man, I am totally impressed! That is incredible. I love the color, I love how the zipper turned out and I love the topstitching. It always makes things look "handmade" instead of "homemade"... you know, like those 3rd grade science fair projects that I may or may not have throw together the morning of. If only I had known to topstitch them!

Quiltpiecer said...

Wow, I am so impressed! It looks HARD! Kudos to you!

Sarcastic Quilter said...

very cool... or should I say, warm?

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Kudos to you for making your own pattern! I've never been very successful with that. Your tips for sewing with knits are good, too.

Terrific finish!

amylouwhosews said...

I"m totally impressed! I need to do this to replicate a few skirts I love! This looks really cozy!

QuiltyBee said...

Nice work--like the color, too.

Anonymous said...

Whoa! Totally awesome! Seing fleece gives me the heebie jeebies! ;-)

Leslie said...

this is amazing! great job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...