Friday, December 11, 2009

Sew & Tell Friday: Cardinal Pillow Cover


It's time again for Sew & Tell Fridays. The days are flying by!

*********************************

Tutorial now added here: Cardinal Pillow Cover

My inspiration. A calendar photo:

I traced the cardinal and appliqued it down with machine-stitched blanket stitch.


A glimpse of the process. I shadow-quilted around the cardinal and branches. Is that what it's called? Or echo-quilting?

There was a period of time during construction that I considered making this into a wall-hanging, but the pillow won out in the end.

The finished product! It didn't take too long. It is an overlapping envelope style pillow cover. I love to change my pillow covers from season to season.


I took lots of pictures. I could put together a tutorial if there is enough interest. Just let me know!
***********************
Sew Cal Gal is having a Virtual Christmas Quilt Show. Go over to her blog and scroll down to find the links to other Christmas quilts.

25 comments:

Gigi's Thimble said...

Wow that is really pretty! True artwork! Great job! Thanks for entering my giveaway! Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness - that's absolutely gorgeous. You did a superb job.

Anne at Film and Thread said...

That is absolutely beautiful! It is more realistic looking than I would have expected and your quilting looks great, too!

Chris said...

Just stunning - you picked the perfect red for the cardinal. You're very skilled. I'd love to see a tutorial.

Catherine said...

You've done a lovely job with this and the echo quilting is perfect for making it stnd out.

ktquilts said...

Great job, they are beautiful!! I love the quilting. It gives me ideas to put in that perpetual quilty file in my head!!!
Blessings,
KT

Karen said...

Your cushion looks lovely. Great finish.

Jocelyn said...

Oh my goodness Sue, it is beautiful!!

Leslie said...

this is so pretty and so clever. i love birds!!! great finish

Carla said...

That is just awesome! Very creative and lovely too.

Browndirtcottage said...

....OOOouuuu and Aaaahhhh...I am s-o-o-o-o a
cardinal lover(major bird watcher)!!! You are
just so smart and creative...we must be kindred
spirits...I do the same thing...get ideas from
anywhere and everywhere...draw them out and create!!
Your little pillow is FAB!!

Pokey said...

this is a great creation, Sue. Of course, do the tutorial! I love your echo quilting, and the cardinal is precious. Well done!

Jennifer said...

Wow that is beautiful. Great job!

Kimberly Tripp said...

very cute! I love the button for his eye too. I'm going to practice applique for my next project, using the machine blanket stitch. Any tips???

Anita in Florida said...

Very pretty!

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

What a fabulous cardinal! Well done! I too like to change the pillow covers with the seasons, it's such an easy makeover of the living room.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Wow!!! I would love a tutorial!!

Lynn said...

Cute pillow - the quilting adds so much.

Diane said...

That is fab! I love the way you layered the pieces! this is beautiful!

Needled Mom said...

Beautiful and I love your inspiration.

Nina... said...

Such a beautiful pillow! Wonderful job. Happy Holidays!

Myra said...

Awesome pillow!!! Love Cardinals... One day I hope to see a real one too...
Thanks for sharing a tutorial! 8-)

Rene' said...

Oh, I love this!!!! Cardinals always remind me of my grandmother. I have several cardinal music boxes from her. So beautiful. You did a great job. I definitely think you should post a tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

SheilaC said...

I just love your cardinal!! You did a beautiful job.

Thank you for sharing

SheilaC

SewCalGal said...

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing in the Virtual Christmas Quilt Show!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...