Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Fisherman's Quilt

These photos feature a quilt that I made for our family cottage in northern Wisconsin. I used a simple pattern that I adapted from a baby quilt pattern in a magazine. This quilt is lap size.

I used an assortment of vintage-looking fishing themed fabric. The outer border and backing is a soft green flannel.

I quilted half of the inner pieces with a simple fish shape. Actually, the Christian fish or Ichthys. I cut a few body shapes out of freezer paper. I pressed the shape on to the quilt and quilted around it. After a few presses with the iron, the pieces lost their "stickiness" so I just pinned them on and stitched around, with good results. Then, in the border, I quilted continuous loops of the body shape. I used a meandering looping design in the rest of the inner pieces. The binding is pieced.


Speaking of fishing, I caught this guy on camera just after he had a successful fishing expedition. An amazing sight!

4 comments:

SandyQuilts said...

Love it.

Anonymous said...

Sue - what a beautiful and cozy quilt. I love your colors!!!

Thank you for your kind words on my birthday party tablescape. It was fun for me to set up. :)

Janean said...

Sue, adore the muted colors and don't think i've seen a fishing lap quilt! lovely photo too...<3

Chris said...

Beautiful quilt. I always love nature themes.

Did you go to Eagle Days in Prairie du Sac? We missed it this year, but have gone in the past.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...